Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Breaking the News and Our First Doctor Visit

I can’t believe it’s been so long since I updated! Since my last entry we’ve told a few people our big news! First we told my Mom and Dad, now named Granna and Pop, and Robyn and Parker. (On September 20th) They were floored! I was pretty nervous about telling them since I felt sure that Mom and Daddy didn’t know we were trying to get pregnant. So nervous that I actually took another pregnancy test the day before just to make sure I still was! But they have been super supportive and excited! We told them by wrapping up little onsies that I made for them. Mom and Dad’s said “Kickin it with Grandma” and “Kickin it with Grandpa”. Robyn’s said “If you think I’m cute, you should see my Aunt Robyn”. I think she may be still in shock. And she KNEW we wanted to have a baby! She had also requested that we start on it now since our kid will need to be 2 years old when she gets married so it can be in the wedding. What Robyn wants, Robyn gets! On our way home from Mom and Daddy’s that night Erik couldn’t wait to tell his parents so we called them to tell them the good news. He had originally wanted to wait until after our first doctor’s visit but I think after actually getting to say the words “we’re pregnant” it’s too exciting to stop with just once! His parents were so excited!! It was raining so hard on our way home we called them again once we got in the house to make sure they heard us correctly. Again, once you’ve said it once, you just can’t help yourself from saying it again. After that Erik called his brother Richie and sister Leah who were both thrilled for us! Even after all that, it still seems surreal to me. Since my girls at Ideal Image know me so well it seemed impossible for me to keep from telling them. Especially since we see each other at least once a week and they knew we were trying to conceive…down to “the day” actually. We are a pretty tight knit group. J I avoided them as long as I could. So much so that they actually thought I was mad at them! I decided to plan a visit to the office for “lunch” (on September 23rd) so I could tell all of them at once. My friend Julie was in town from Louisiana (who by the way is also pregnant!) so we grabbed a little lunch and a dessert surprise for the girls. We had the lady at the Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen write the word BABY on a Grasshopper Pie (my fav!). I sat it on the counter once we got to the office and took off the lid. Tiffany was the first to see it and she literally jumped out of her chair! Thank goodness no one was in the office because the jumping and squeals that came next I think only dogs could hear. They are such a supportive group of friends and it was amazing to share the news with them.
We had our first doctor appointment on September 25th and everything went great. I felt like they drained all the blood from my body and rearranged my uterus but I guess that’s normal. I had a list of questions for the doctor however I was so overwhelmed and nervous I didn’t ask any of them. Fortunately, Dr. Wilson is good enough that she answered most of them without my asking. Erik went with me but I think it was less exciting than he had hoped it would be. Once we left the office he looked at me and asked “So what exactly just happened that confirmed you are pregnant?” See…surreal. As we were leaving the office we happened to run into some friends of ours. Naturally, you are trying to be sly and NOT tell anyone and then you run into friends of yours in the elevator. And let’s face it, it’s not every day that your husband accompanies you to your Gynecology visit. Plus I was so floored to see them my words were all over the place. We didn’t tell them then, but they knew. We have pretty intelligent friends. The list of people in the know is growing. It’s been great sharing the news! Tonight we are planning on telling the cousins and Aunt Peggy and Uncle Don. We are doing impromptu drive bys to say hello and tell them we’re having a baby! I’m still feeling pretty good. There’s only been a few days that I’ve felt really nauseous. But it comes with a vengeance when it does. Mostly I’m just REALLY tired. It’s weird to think that I don’t really do anything during the day but my body feels like it’s been going for 24 hours with no sleep. Naps are my best friend right now. I’m definitely looking forward to my second trimester for several reasons. Hopefully I’ll have more energy and I’ll be able to shake this anxious feeling of “Am I REALLY pregnant still?”

No comments: